PitaPata Dog tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers

Words of Wisdom

If enough of us choose to change even one small thing, together we have the power to change anything.

— Rick Hansen
"Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they lead."
- Lousia May Alcott

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day Eleven of Doggie Training: Field Trip and Practice

Well, it was an exhausting day for all. We had a short lecture in the morning, followed by some some thing that various members of class had questions about. For example Donna wanted to know who to train Coralie to alert her to sounds going on in the house while she was in the back yard and the screen door is closed. We talked it through and the answer: start simple and once the training is successful and your distance had made it to being right outside the screen door, slowly work your way to closing the door.

We followed that up with individual time with our instructor Ken. We worked on Renelle slowness from the time she alerts me to the time she gets to the sound. His suggestion follow her an keep asking her what until she gets me to the sound. LOL! She was a bit confused because, even though I knew where the sound was during the training, I gave no clue to her that I did know. So I followed her around the room, into the bathroom, back out and circled the room until she got me to the sound. She did much better after than since she realized I "didn't" know where the sound was. Which is good because in reality I most likely wouldn't know!

We then had a lovely lunch (the voluncheers, which is what they are called) here at CCI are AWESOME!!!!!! So much time and effort goes into these lunches and it is delightful to talk to them at lunch. Today was a BEAUTIFUL day. The sun was out and the sky was clear. We had some lovely walks around campus.

After lunch we talked about what toys are appropriate and what are inappropriate. Then we had our field trip to the Western Feed Store (which is where Ken's wife Sarah works). I got a couple of toys for Renelle (a Kong and a Frisbee). It was a VERY difficult field trip. I had to keep correcting her and she was very sad. Once we got into the car she stuck her nose just over my shoulder (Merri was driving) and I scratched her nose and then I found her trying to stick her nose over my other shoulder. Ever since then she has been sticking really close to me, I'll explain that in a moment.

We got back to campus and had a short lecture on "Going home" and then we were free for the day. Three of us human gals went to Petco to get our dogs their ID tags. I got one in the shape of a bone with her name, my phone number and "Please find my person" on it. Oh, yeah we also, got some of our equipment today. I got her crate, 20 lb bag of food. Tomorrow morning we should get the rest. One of which would be her collar, and Renelle and her sister Raven played tackle.

The rest of the evening consisted of Renelle's regular grooming routine. dinner, mindless TV watching, and studying for our final exams tomorrow. Of course after the grooming Renelle fell asleep on her back and started snoring! Never heard her do that before! I think it had to do with the placement of her head. She is on her side now and no snoring.

That is it for now. Sorry no pictures.

Peace!
C & R

No comments: