PitaPata Dog tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers

Words of Wisdom

If enough of us choose to change even one small thing, together we have the power to change anything.

— Rick Hansen
"Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they lead."
- Lousia May Alcott

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day four of Doggie Training:: the pre-match

Okay here is the introduction to my pre-match:

Meet Renelle
a female black golden/lab cross

We are working on the "alert" which is when she nudges me persistently somewhere on my body to get my attention. Here we are using food as a motivator (reward). Renelle had an unexpected challenge of the fact I was wearing a skirt. She wasn't sure if I had legs (her trainer Ken refuses to wear skirts - I am sure his wife appreciates that!). So she used the physical clue of the hand sign for "alert" (closed fist tapping on the leg) and aimed for that spot.

My four class mates and I took turns with our matches so on the fourth try we were no longer using the hand sign and we were placing our hands in different positions so the the visual was different every time. She was uncertain, but aimed where I had previously used the hand sign. When I dramatically repositioned my legs, she was uncertain of where to poke, but did well.




Renelle has quite a personality. She is willing to try anything and was hopping all around me trying to find a spot to "alert" me. Which makes the skirt a wonderful challenge for her.

Peace!
C

No comments: