PitaPata Dog tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers

Words of Wisdom

If enough of us choose to change even one small thing, together we have the power to change anything.

— Rick Hansen
"Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they lead."
- Lousia May Alcott

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Assistance Animal pointers for family & friends

The first couple paragraphs are a repeat, therefore important to know! So to clarify, every time is says "you" they mean me!

"It is particularly critical in the first month after Team Training that you (they mean me) establish control and achieve responsiveness in your dog. In conjunction with getting to know and bonding with your (again me) dog, setting the ground rules and maintaining control and leadership will be your (that is me) primary focus."

"An important consideration is how family and friends should interact with the dog. It is very important that family and friends regard the dog as a working animal. It will be detrimental to the working relationship in the long run if the dog receives inviting looks, petting or verbal stimulation from those around you (me). Therefore, the best way your family and friends can support you is to ignore the dog for the first month home. This does not mean you (me) cannot discuss the dog or share with others what the dog is trained to do for you (again me), but they are not to interact with the dog via petting or prolonged eye contact."

"If you have given the dog a command, others should not interact and interfere. the dog must respond the first time every time. Other people touching and talking to the dog will distract the dog from its job."

'Discourage others from approaching the dog with excitable and emotional greetings. If your friends encourage your dog to get excited as they approach, the dog will pull out on the leash to meet them and will lose focus on you. If this is repeated often, the dog will quickly think its job has changed from being a calm working companion to an out-of-control greeter. Encourage people to remain low-key and to ask if they'd like to shake hands with the dog."

"Since the dog is on a specific diet, it must not accept treats and snacks from people. these extra treats also lead to health problems and obesity."

I know for many of you this will be difficult, but PLEASE follow these guidelines. I need the dog to be focus on its job and that is assisting me with hearing.

Peace!
C

No comments: