PitaPata Dog tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers

Words of Wisdom

If enough of us choose to change even one small thing, together we have the power to change anything.

— Rick Hansen
"Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they lead."
- Lousia May Alcott

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Searching for Resources

So far my search has come up with the CA State Vocational Resource. Basically it is for those with disabilities that have difficulty finding a job. They assist by helping to make a plan to get what ever training, education that is needed and then to assist in getting a job and to help get what ever resources one will need to keep the job. I went to their mandatory introduction meeting and was uncertain if it would be helpful. I meet with a counselor last week. What was very interesting is that the counselor said that I do qualify for resources. So according the State Government I am disabled. So my moral dilemma of checking off that box on various paper work, is now gone and I am relived. Anyway, they are going to assist me in getting my hearing aids assessed to determine if they are nor longer adequate. If possible help get new ones.

My next step is to try to apply for medi-cal. I will keep you posted on that avenue of recourse.

I am also looking in the possiblity of a hearing dog. I am uncertain if this work, but I will never know until I investigate the option. I personally feel it would be quite helpful. Over this past year and a half of living on my own I have discoverd that I miss many sounds, such as the phone ringing, knocking on the door, timer going off, people calling my name, just to name a few things. A service dog would assist me by simply nudging me and looking towards the direction of the sound. There are many places, using a variety of techniques in training as well as dogs. According to some web-sites there is a wait anywhere between 2 to 5 years. The wait it to make the best match between the person and the dog. Temperments are every thing in a working relationship. I will keep you posted on this adventure as well.

That is it for now.

Peace!
C-

No comments: