PitaPata Dog tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers

Words of Wisdom

If enough of us choose to change even one small thing, together we have the power to change anything.

— Rick Hansen
"Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they lead."
- Lousia May Alcott

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Life as an HOH/HI: a painful childhood memory

I have so many memories from my childhood as a main streamed HOH, sadly many are not happy. I want to say in NO way do I blame my parents or my teachers. My father did everything humanly possible he could do and did what he felt was the right thing for me. The blame goes squarely on the shoulders of my tormentors and to extension their parents (in my opinion, who were not as involved in their child's life as they should of been).

It was Jr. High, I think I was going to lunch and I stopped by to say hello my speech therapist (I spent K-8 going to one). There was a group of girls behind me, honestly I don't think I even knew them! While I was standing in the doorway to her office, these girls passed by and they were talking to themselves, I glanced at them and one of the girls stared at me over her shoulder (rather rudely if I recall correctly). My speech therapist came up to me and asked if I heard them calling my name and I said no. That explained the rude look. Obviously this is not one of my tormented stories, but you get the idea of my sense of isolation. Because I didn't or couldn't hear someone, people thought I was rude and ignoring them!

I never hide my HI, but I did not talk about it either, mostly because I didn't know what to say. Even now as an adult I don't hide it nor talk about it.

Here is a torment story. It was about third grade, Chris and I had just returned from Washington State (that is a long story in itself and for another time). My parents were getting a divorce, I was once again going to a new school and knew no one. There was this girl that thought it would be funny to scream in my ear. Every day, any time of the day, usually at recess or after school out on the side walk. Not only would she scream in my ear, but she would also pinch me and run off laughing. Needless to say it was quite painful to my ear and my self-esteem was at its lowest. Thankfully, I was able to go to my father (he always made me feel like I could) and the girl got in trouble and she never did it again.

I certainly do not remember her name now, nor what she looked like. Come to think of it, I'm not sure I knew her before she started the torment. Anyone have any thoughts on this phenomenon of not knowing the person before the torment starts?

Anyway, enough for now.

Peace!
C-

No comments: