PitaPata Dog tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers

Words of Wisdom

If enough of us choose to change even one small thing, together we have the power to change anything.

— Rick Hansen
"Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they lead."
- Lousia May Alcott

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Empire Conference Day 1 - Going, going...gone!

Well, I have been bad at posting lately haven't I? Sorry about that.

Anyway, this past weekend I had the opportunity to attend a multi-disciplinary conference at CSU Stanislaus in Turlock, CA. Talk about flat...I must admit it was nice not to have to climb hills and stairs for a few days. :-)

We met up at Dr. Paulet's house, loaded the kid (Dr. P's son) and a our stuff for 12 people in the van and Tony's car (bless him for driving his own car!). Most of it landed in Tony's car. Anyway, we had fun drive (thanks to Ellie (sp?) for driving). We slept, people listened to music and watch movies on their i-pods, crocheted (that would be me) and we played an interesting game, we based it on important historical people and events. For example: someone said "Abigail Adams", then taking the last letter of the last name (in this case 'S'), the next person comes up with another such as "Suez Crisis". Needless to say we kept getting stuck on "S" and "N" and after a while we were having a harder time of it.

We stopped for lunch in (I believe) Legget. We also stopped for gas a couple of times. We finally arrived at CSU Stanislaus around 6:00 pm. They were so sweet there...they waited for us to arrive! Seriously...one of the people running the show, told them to wait for the Humbolt students. Of course they wanted us to finish the food that was still there...hum...starving students? Indeed we were! After checking in and meeting a few people, we headed to our hotel in Modesto.

Well, it was 8 girls and 2 boys plus Dr. P and her family. The girls split into groups of 4 to a room and the boys got the third room with the fourth to Dr. P. Naturally people forgot things and we wandered over to (God forgive us!) Wal-Mart (shudder). After that some people were still hungry and decided to go to the Olive Garden (conveniently all these places were across from the hotel). Once back at the hotel some of the others went to the pool. Myself, Amanda and a few other stayed back in the rooms and crashed. Of course Amanda and I had to find a nearby church to attend a Palm Sunday mass, which we found in Modesto a parish called Our Lady of Fatima. In the mean time Dr. P was writing the paper she was to present the next day (and I thought I procrastinated).

Well, that was day one. I'll write more tomorrow...right now I have better start my paper!

Peace! C-

No comments: