PitaPata Dog tickers

PitaPata Dog tickers

Words of Wisdom

If enough of us choose to change even one small thing, together we have the power to change anything.

— Rick Hansen
"Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they lead."
- Lousia May Alcott

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Vote with your conscience

People (among them is a Roman Catholic bishop) have been saying that if you vote for candidate A rather than candidate B you will go to hell. The people who are saying this are irresponsible and just plain wrong. As a Catholic Christian I am insulted by these statements, especially coming from a church leader. They seem to have forgotten what scripture and the Catechism of the Catholic Church says.


God has asked us to listen to our conscience. As the Catechism of the Catholic Church says: Section 1782 -- Man has the right to act in conscience and in freedom so as personally to make moral decisions. “He must not be forced to act contrary to his conscience. Nor must he be prevented from acting according to his conscience ...” So for a religious leader or other lay person to say that I will go to hell for voting for candidate A is preventing and attempting to force me from acting according to my conscience, by the use of the threat of hell. By doing that, according to the Catholic Church, these very people are committing a sin. So who is more sinful? Me for acting according to my conscience or them for preventing me from voting my conscience. I'll leave the final judgment to God, for those who judge others will be judged just as harshly by God.


The Catechism and scripture has much more to say about conscience decisions, the most important thing is that we are morally obligated to vote, however when you vote, vote with your conscience, not someone else's.

No comments: